Monday, March 24, 2014

Sketchbook Corner #16 ~ The Walking Dead fan art

I can't believe there's only one episode left until the season finale of The Walking Dead! 
 But more than seeing the zombie apocalypse and awesome character development, this show would not have made as much of an impact on me, if not for the character of Daryl Dixon played by Norman Reedus.

>__<

After watching episodes "Still"  and "Alone," I was immediately taken by the unlikely duo of Beth and Daryl. I have to admit, she grew on me. Never thought these characters would compliment each other, but good writing is funny that way.


*  *   *

This is Beth and Daryl perched safely on a tree, while he listens to her ramble on about something from her past life. I'll be making this into a final piece, I think. Just got to work out the layout a little more.




This, I did for a good laugh. Beth and Daryl camping out. Beth glances over at Daryl and is surprised to find him in a predicament. A fuzzy little caterpillar has perched on the twig Daryl has in his mouth, and he's caught in a battle of the wills against the tiny creature.
Honestly, Beth is really trying not to laugh.
 





The most heart wrenching scene from the episode "Alone" is when Daryl, after endlessly following the road in hopes of catching up to the car that took Beth, comes to a fork in the road and doesn't know where to go. He collapses to the floor, defeated. I imagine as he is sitting alone on that road, Beth materializes like a ghost, leans against Daryl and begins to sing. Beth once told him: "You're going to miss me so bad when I'm gone, Daryl Dixon."

This is the moment when Daryl feels the impact of her words. 





I recently saw an interview of Norman Reedus and how he helped solidify the character of Daryl Dixon. On this interview, Norman confessed that he felt Daryl should have a dog on the show, and he expressed this idea to the producer of the Walking Dead. Unfortunately, this request was declined. However, I could totally imagine Daryl with a dog. We would get to see a much softer side to him-- when no one's looking, of course.
* laughs*


I liked the idea of Daryl having a dog so much, I did a much more elaborate sketch. This dog, who I have named "Savannah," would be super useful to Daryl. She could carry his bolts on a traveling pack, retrieve them when salvageable, and help him track when out in the woods. 

The final piece will be up soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment