Sunday, October 27, 2013

"Oreo"

Fellow coworker and cat lover, Allison, lost her feline companion "Oreo" about 5 months ago. This was also around the time I began my new job at the office. I was nervous, didn't know anybody, and felt very much like a fish out of water. Allison bravely came in the day after Oreo was put to sleep (he was old, very sickly and diabetic) and took me under her wing.

 I could tell she didn't want to be there; I understood that pain quite clearly. The day after Yume passed away, I had to drag my unwilling body to work,  force a smile to my face and wish customers passing by to have a good day. I hated it. Each day was a struggle, and coming home was unbearable. It took me a week to finally empty Yume's bowl of food and water. 

As a tribute to that special companion, I made her this painting of Oreo. 

May she always remember the good times they had together.


Oreo, Mixed Media on Wood. © Jenny De La Torre. 2013


** ~ In Memoriam, Oreo ~ **



* * *

 I used a mixture of Golden Acrylics, Acryla Gouache, Caran D' Ache colored pencils and an assortment of white inks for the fur. I usually work on the background first, but in this case it made sense to work out the details on Oreo from the very beginning. Later on, as I painstakingly added every blade of grass (there were three or four different shades of green used) I didn't have to worry about retouching Oreo's fur again.








Of course, I saved the best for last. I love painting eyes, especially on cats. There are just so many lovely shades you can find if you stare closely enough. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment