Wednesday, March 27, 2013

~*enters awkwardly into the room...*

Eep! It's been a little over a month since my last post?!
 *stares in horror at her computer screen, then grovels shamelessly on the floor* 
Please accept my most humble apologies, fellow travelers. This shall never (hopefully) happen again!   ^__^; I wonder if I'll manage to fulfill my new year's resolution goal at this snail pace....?
Well, the only thing I can do to make it up to you is to show you what I've been up to and what is to come your way.
* * *> ^___^ <* * *
I have decided to explore an array of mediums this year. A couple of weeks ago, I went to dickblick.com and went on a little shopping spree. Their shipping service was super fast, so I will definitely be buying from them again. In fact, I think I have a package in transit this very minute!
These are some of the things I bought:
Some ink, nibs, a nib holder, pastel pencils and acrylics. In the past, I loved working with pastels (especially to acquire a "glow effect") but they were always too messy for my taste. I never thought of using them as pencils, so hopefully they won't disappoint. Luckily, I only bought a select few.
 As for acrylics, my supply was running low since I had stopped buying them after college in favor of gouache. I want to try using both in my illustrations, since they are on my top five mediums to use. The others being ink, watercolor and color pencils.
I bought the Deleter Ink on the top left at my local comic book store, not the Blick website. After watching this video on youtube, I wanted to explore the world of pen and inks a little more. Enclosed in their cases are four types of nibs: Maru, Saji, G-Pen and School-Pen all made by Kuretake. Plus, the Nib Holder. Next time, I'm aiming for the Tachikawa Nib Holder. You can order it here if you're interested and the first video explains why it's worth having in your collection.  

I'm a huge fan of Kazu Kibuishi's Amulet graphic novel. So, when I saw him post a step by step tutorial of his work, the tools he used caught my interest. I've never used a COL-ERASE pencil before, didn't even know the Non-Photo Blue didn't transfer when photocopied. I thought, huh, that would be fun to try.  

A graphic novel for "Egg?" Maybe, maybe... :)

Mr. Kibuishi also mentions in his tutorial how Micron tends to smudge when erased, but Staedtler doesn't? I haven't tried them yet, but we shall see.
 Okay, so you all know I want to open my etsy shop sometime this year, right?  I want to create illustrations,  but what if I can do more? I remembered my 3D class back in college and that was a challenge, but I felt my creative mind expand to new horizons. I wanted to try that again.
So, I will be working with clay. Don't know how I will incorporate that into my style, but that's part of the fun, right?  The ink pads on the left are for the stamps I will be carving when my other box from Blick gets here. 
*  *   *
Random Sketch!



Actually, this is a preliminary sketch for a significant character.

 On a side note, Kisa, Kaito and I had a little fun with Corel Painter 12!
 >__<







No comments:

Post a Comment