Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Sketchbook Corner #8

 
I've been doing a lot of sketching time before bed (with the help of caffeine after a long day of work =__=).  My head has been feeling a bit muddled lately. So much so, that I think a recent headache was the end result of trying to "draw" in my head. One too many ideas clamoring for attention. Sketching is the best way to focus, I think.
 
 

 
 
***
 
 

Rough sketch of my character's outfit. I was going for a Turkish-like design. I find myself drawn to the intricate patterns in their clothing.
 
 

 

***

In this one, I was going for a "soft" look, almost dream-like, for my character. What do you think? ^__^
 


 
 
***
 
 
After a trip to the library, I checked out books on clothing from different cultures. Some of the patterns I found looked like these. I used my markers to copy a few for future reference. Afterwards, I practiced on henna designs. Flowers are my favorite. And shading.



 
 
 
 ***


My cousin is a Shaolin student and I thought it would be neat to incorporate a character with his mischievous personality. He asked only that his character wear a traditional Shaolin outfit and that he be accompanied by a giant wolf spirit. How could I say no?! Look for him in upcoming illustrations. He will be a Trickster-like character my would-be Self (still nameless) will meet throughout her adventures.
 
 



***
And here's a tiny "Egg" character sketch. But now that I think about it, my would-be Self and her could be the same person.
 
 -___-
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment